Follow me on Twitter

Friday 30 July 2010

Stump Cross Caverns Experience


I hadn't been in a cave since my childhood days. So, on Wednesday I decided to go underground, and  explore Stump Cross Caverns owned by Richard and Lisa Bowerman.  

Okay, I must admit (if I don't tell you my niece Amy will) that I was more than a bit apprehensive but thanks to the encouragement of Jacob (the owner's son) who at thirteen knows all there is to know about  Stump Cross Show Cave I put on my hard hat, and descended into the hole! 

Once I was down there I was amazed at the beautiful colours and formations. Stalactites and stalagmites are everywhere, along the cave passages and in the grottos, in all shapes and sizes. Isn't it bizarre how many faces there are in rocks? See if you can spot any faces in the video pics of these  caves that are millions of years old.

After the cave experience we enjoyed tea and cake in the cafe, that in itself is well worth a visit. So, if you are with a party of people, and you can't get down the steps into the cave, sample the delights of the cafe, and have a browse around the shop. A great choice of crystals and gifts. There's something for everyone.

British weather being what it is this is a perfect place to visit rain or shine!
Oh yes . . . I nearly forgot to say . . . Richard brews his own beer made using water from within the cave. Appently visitors are able to enjoy a drink with a difference! It's called Stump Cross Beer.

Ellen Dean Recommended.


No comments: